Sunday, December 21, 2008

Reuters Images of the Year 2008 (PART ONE)


A picture speaks a thousand words. You might be a good writer, but a good photographer beats you hands down, anytime, anywhere. But a good photographer AND writer beats them both :)


There are more than 500 of these images, but I have selected a few of them that I personally find interesting and intriguing, and will divide this to 5 parts... 16 selected pictures from every 100 pictures :) Of course, feel free to disagree with me on my selection :) I welcome criticism.


A polar bear shakes his body to remove water at the St-Felicien Wildlife Zoo in St-Felicien, Quebec March 6, 2008.


My comment: Have anyone been to this zoo? Ron? I would love to :)


Ronnie DeLarue gets bucked off Pepper Roll in the Novice Bareback event at the Calgary Stampede in Calgary, July 4, 2008.

My comment: An oh shit moment!


A tribesman from Asmat district is seen during the Asmat festival in Indonesia's remote province of Papua October 11, 2008. The Asmats are known for their artistic ancestral woodcarving. The festival is aimed at promoting tourism for the region.

My comment: I think he flips that thing up when he needs to eat, but not too high, or else it will block his eyesight :p


A man struggles against the wind with his umbrella as Typhoon Jangmi hits Taipei September 28, 2008. The strong typhoon churned toward Taiwan on Sunday, with winds of up to 227 kph and dumping torrential rains as it forced flight and work cancellations ahead of its expected landfall later in the day.

My comment: I don't think his umbrella is of any help at all!


An artist performs in front of a poster during the 16th Indonesian International Motor Show 2008 in Jakarta July 11, 2008. Indonesian vehicle sales are expected to top 500,000 units this year, despite a government decision to raise subsidised fuel prices in May, a senior industry association official said on Friday.

My comment: How IRONIC! I think the ad is meant to make people NOT buy cars.


Belarussians attend confession at a Catholic church during the annual Icon of the Mother of God festival in the village of Budslav, some 150 km (93 miles) north of Minsk, July 1, 2008.

My comment: This is really weird!


A competitor dives from the 14 metre-high bridge over Drina river during annual high diving competition in Bosnian town of Visegrad July 12, 2008.

My comment: Dang! I thought that was Superman :)


Grooms take part in a mass wedding ceremony in Riyadh June 24, 2008. Governor of Riyadh Prince Salman and a local group organized a mass wedding for about 1600 couples to help young people who are unable to afford expensive ceremonies because of the rising cost of living.

My comment: WHAT? 1600 couples? Is that a world record?


Rockets fly over bell tower of Ayios Marcos church during Greek Orthodox Easter celebrations on the eastern Aegean island of Chios late April 26, 2008. Two rival parishes of Vrontados village fire thousands of rockets every Easter Saturday aiming at the opposing church's bell tower in a centuries-old tradition.

My comment: Whaaaaaaaaat???


Labourers carry bricks on their heads at a brick kiln at Kodhasar village, 40 km (25 miles) south of the northern Indian city of Allahabad April 30, 2008.

My comment: Oh my God! I'll bet you haven't seen this before!


A participant dressed as movie character "Mum Flodder" speeds down a street during the first German office chair racing championship in the village of Bad Koenig-Zell about 70km south-west from Frankfurt, April 26, 2008.

My comment: CHAIR RACING CHAMPIONSHIP??? Now that's a new one! LOL


Men dressed in traditional costumes throw water on a woman as part of traditional Easter celebrations during a presentation to the media in Mezokovesd, 130 km (81 miles) east of Budapest March 20, 2008. Locals from northeast Hungary celebrate Easter with a "watering of the girls", a fertility ritual rooted in Hungary's tribal pre-Christian past.

My comment: HUH??? That's not in Christianity... weird.


Men play with snow in Amman January 31, 2008. A heavy overnight snowstorm blanketed Jordan on Wednesday, closing schools and stores and grounding public transportation.

My comment: I would do that too :) if it suddenly snowed in Malaysia :)


Brahmin priests raise their hands towards the royal urn, honouring the remains of Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej's late sister Princess Galyani Vadhana, as they stand upon a carriage next to a palanquin during her cremation ceremony in Bangkok November 15, 2008. Tens of thousands of Thais came out on the streets of Bangkok to pay their respects to the late Princess Galyani, who will be cremated later in the evening. The royal crematorium is seen in the background.

My comment: Welcome to Thailand! I don't think you see this very often in Bangkok.


Ethiopia's marathon runner Haile Gebrselassie crosses the finish line to set a new world record at the 35th Berlin marathon in Berlin September 28, 2008. Gebrselassie clocked 2:03.59. In the background is the Brandenburg Gate.

My comment: WOW! This means that he did double of the distance I ran, and still finished an hour ahead of me. Crazy huh? He is the best long distance runner ever, truly.


A child drinks water at a flood relief camp in Araria district town in the eastern Indian state of Bihar, September 7, 2008. Authorities battling a massive deluge in eastern India issued public warnings on Friday of more floods to come and asked villagers not to return home from temporary shelters yet.

My comment: I saved this picture for last, as it is my favourite, among all these 16. Let's not forget that there are people like this boy during this Christmas season :)

5 Comments:

Blogger MysLykeMeeh said...

Ohh--yeah, good thing to save for last... the last picture really speaks thousand words..., lest not forget!

What else? Christmas is meant for Children..really like thi last pic--

other picture were wierd and outstanding but the last one speaks the truth. Take care!

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 1:46:00 PM  
Blogger Ron said...

LOL, John, I've never been to that zoo. As a matter of fact, I'm not a big animal lover...I'm afraid! Awesome pics!! Thanks for posting.
Merry Christmas buddy!!

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 11:16:00 PM  
Blogger John said...

Agree with you, Mys Lyke Meeh, including the little kids in all adults ;)

Merry Christmas Ron! You are afraid of animals? Hmmm... even pets like dogs and cats?

Thursday, December 25, 2008 10:08:00 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

You did save the most meaning photo for last...
My favorite photo is the one of the priests taking confession on the churchgrounds. It made me smile for some reason!
My least favorite is the picture of the women with bricks on their heads. It made me ache just looking at it.
Thanks for sharing the pictures and your commentary, John!

Saturday, December 27, 2008 8:21:00 AM  
Blogger John said...

:) Talk about privacy huh? And makes one wonder the use of the wooden structure.

Monday, December 29, 2008 3:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home